Indus River Valley Civilization Features:
Dear Telangana Aspirants,
Indus river valley civilization is also called as ” Supreme civilization “. Indus valley located near Afghanistan and Pakistan countries. If flourished along with the basins of Indus River, This Indus river flows through Pakistan and India. In this post we are Providing notes on “Indus River Valley Civilization Features”. In this post we mainly discuss on the important points on the Indus valley civilization. They living style of the Indus valley people and their important constructions. This notes will be useful for job aspirants , who are preparing for Groups,Tspsc exams, AEE’s and Police jobs in telangana state.This notes will definitely helps to you get perfect score in the Telangana(TSPSC) exams.
Here are the Points to be Noted:
1. Indus River Valley Civilization Excavation:
- Indus valley civilization existed from 2350BC to about 1750BC in the north western part of the Indian sub continents which are Punjab, sindh, Baluchistan, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Haryana and areas of western UP.
- In 1856 Alexander Cunningham who is director general of archaeology department of northern India visited harappa civilization sites, where he met Sir John Marshall and William brunton who are excavating and found some harappan sites.
- Later Rai Bahadur Daya Ram Sahni who is an Indian archaeologist started excavating harrppan sites and he found harappan seals.
2. Indus valley Homes:
- Indus valley people built their homes with baked bricks. They made bricks and burnt them for hours so that it can get maximum strength.
- If we look at photos taken by archaeologists we can say that they built homes one or two stories high with flat roofs and courtyards.
- Each home having it’s private bathrooms and drinking water wells inside homes. And they made windows to observe outsiders.
- Towns are divided into two parts 1.citadel and 2.Lower town. Citadels were occupied by members of ruling
- They developed cities in block pattern chess board pattern because roads of these cities used to cut each other at right angles.
3.Indus valley sewer system:
- Main features of IVC(Indus valley civilization) were Town planning and Drainage system.
- Indus valley people are one and only to construct well planned Sewer or Drainage systems for entire city.
- All the Bathrooms in city are connected with clay pipes which flows under the streets, these pipes are drained into near streams and rivers.
- They not only drained waste water, they also made a separate system for fresh drinking water every home in the entire city.
- Each house in the city even the smallest houses and corner houses in the city are connected to both “central drainage system” and ” fresh water system“.
4. Indus valley Civilization Clothing:
- Indus valley people preferred colorful clothes. women’s wear gold ornaments and other jewelry made of precious stones and women’s used lipsticks.
- From the Indus valley excavation archaeologists found “a beautiful women statue wearing a bracelet.”
- Men’s uses Caps and Headdresses , the basic costume of Indus valley people is a length of fabric cloth is wrapper around the lower part and other type of fabric cloth with loose fittings is wore on upper part of body.
5. Indus valley Civilization Entertainment:
- They used to play Dicing, Gambling, Hunting and Cock fighting.
- A beautiful women dancer statue wearing a bracelet was found while excavating Indus valley.
- Archaeologists found a Large Public swimming pool, may be it was used for religious ceremonies. Around this Large swimming pools separate dressing rooms are constructed both for male and females.
- Music is always a Divine activity, even the Hindhu goddess “Saraswathi” who holds a muscial instrument. They have special interests in Music, they used Tabla, Veena, and thambora musical instruments for entertainment.
6. Indus valley Civilization Arts and Culture:
- Indus valley civilization people made their Seals with steatite stones.
- More number of Gold, terracotta and some stone figurines shows that they have great skills in sculpturing in statutes.
- Terracotta figurines also includes animals like cows, dogs, monkeys and bears.
- Paintings such as cave paintings are great art works of Indus valley people.
- They have Knowledge in Art of writing.
7. Indus Valley Trade and Transports:
- They have maintained foreign trade with Egypt and Arab countries.
- Indus valley civilization is the first civilization that used Wheeled transportation.
- They made Bullock carts for transporting and trades.
8. Indus Valley Religion:
- Indus people worshiped ” Great male god” and “Mother of Goddess“
- Archaeologists found “Pashupati seal” that figured with Lord Shiva and surrounded by different animals.
- Swastika seals are found while excavating Indus valley civilization.
Thanks for Reading, If you found something interest on this post, like this post and feel free to comment and share this post with your friends and in social media.
“Sharing is the Best way to Gain Knowledge”
You can Subscribe to our website with your email id, and get daily updates and Free notes.